We all love to donate to charity right? But it’s surprising how many people don’t realise they can donate any number of the items listed below. Here at the Clutter Fairy we positively encourage letting go of as much stuff as you feel comfortable to, we know that one of the ways to aid that process is to feel happy that the items are going to good use. What better way to achieve this than by donating to a worthwhile cause!
Here are our top ‘most wanted’ under donated items, get those charity bags ready everyone!
- Bras – there are quite a few charities accepting these now, here are just a couple of examples – Against Breast Cancer Bra Bank & Oxfam
- Bicycles – don’t send your old bike to the tip just yet…. check out your local bike recycling site here (they even take bikes that need a little bit of work doing to them!)
- Computers – give to Computeraid International, Donate a PC or IT specialists in the Furniture Reuse Network
- Electrical items – not all charity shops take these, but a surprising number do as they have equipped themselves with PAT testing equipment, call your local charity shops to see which ones accept these items.
- Glasses/spectacles – many opticians run charity programmes with second-hand glasses, check Vision Aid Overseas to find your nearest optician that participates
- Large items such as sofas/furniture – many charities such as BHF and Sue Ryder accept large furniture items and they will even collect for free! All you need is the fire safety labels still intact.
- Old duvets, pillows, blankets & towel – most rescue centres will happily accept these even if they aren’t in perfect condition as they are always in need of new bedding for the animals. Contact your local rescue centre today!
- Rags (clothes that are ripped/torn, stained, etc) – many charity shops now accept rags as they are able to get £/kg for the bags. It helps if you bag up the rags and tag them so that the charity shop know the items aren’t suitable for resale.
Still struggling to donate because you aren’t able to transport your items to your nearest charity shop? No problem! Try the Gone for Good app in conjunction with a number of charities, where you can arrange for all types of donated items to be collected from your home!
Happy donating everyone!
As always if you have any questions or need advice regarding #decluttering and #organising your home please do get in touch, we would love to hear from you!
Image taken from:http://www.nugentcare.org/fundraising/charity-shop