How often do we hear ourselves saying that and constantly feeling the burden of not getting things done.
Modern life is busy – there are so many more ‘things to do’ nowadays it’s easy to understand why people feel overwhelmed, frustrated with missed deadlines and struggling to complete errands.
But it needn’t be like that. As Napoleon Hill said “You are the master of your destiny. You can influence, direct and control your own environment. You can make your life what you want it to be.”
Here are a few simple rules and helpful tools that help both ourselves and our clients.
- Be realistic and don’t try to take on too much. Remember there is only one of you and ultimately even with help you have to make sure you leave time in the day for yourself.
- Prioritise and focus on what really matters, tackle the need-to-haves before the nice-to-haves.
- Keep track of your progress. Write it down or, if you are good with technology, try a tool like Wunderlist to help keep you on track whilst on the move. If you have lots to do then make different lists for different purposes. Personally, crossing off my to-do list with a purple highlighter makes me very happy.
- Plan ahead. Don’t wait for things to catch you unawares, be ready for them. Get all your plans/birthdays/to-do’s in a diary or online calendar and get into the habit of checking it daily. Put reminders for the really important things, just in case!
- Write a weekly meal plan and shop just once a week for everything, mySupermarket will help make sure you don’t spend more than you need and will alert you if something you buy regularly is on offer. Keep an active list somewhere that the family can add to when they spot that you are running short on something, we love the ideas here.
- Be dedicated – now you know what you want to do and what’s most important to you, get started! Even if you only start by allocating 5-10 minutes each day to creating a more organised life, you will be surprised how much you can achieve. If you really struggle to get started or finish, enlist the help of a friend or family member to make you accountable for your goals.